30 Olney Street, Suite B
Taunton, MA 02780
Phone: (508) 823-6308
FAX: (508) 822-3460
TTY: (800) 439-2370

What is Section 3?

Section 3 is a program through THA which fosters local economic development, neighborhood economic improvement, and individual self-sufficiency.

Under Section 3 of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Act of 1968, wherever HUD financial assistance is given for housing or community development, to the greatest extent feasible, economic opportunities will be given to residents and businesses in that area.

THA receives many forms of revenue, including a large portion of funds from HUD. When HUD funds are utilized to create business opportunities, you (contractors and subcontractors) will be required to fully comply with Section 3 regulations under 24 CFR part 135.

Click here to see the complete Code of Federal Regulations: http://www.access.gpo.gov

Section 3 Policy
The Taunton Housing Authority has established the Section 3 policy to ensure that the employment and other economic opportunities generated by Federal financial assistance for housing and community development programs shall, to the greatest extent feasible, be directed toward low- and very low-income
persons, particularly those who are recipients of government assistance for housing.

What defines Section 3 eligible residents/employees?
Section 3 residents are residents of public housing, and/or low-income persons who live in the area in which a HUD-assisted project is located. Section 3 designation is also given to participants in HUD Youthbuild programs and homeless persons.

How can I apply for Section 3 resident Certification?
Contact the THA’s Section 3 Coordinator using the contact information at the bottom of this page to receive an application.

What is a Section 3 business?
A Section 3 business may be one that:
* Is owned by Section 3 residents, or
* Employs Section 3 residents in full-time positions, or
* Subcontracts with businesses that provide economic opportunities to low-income persons.

How can I certify my business as a Section 3 Business?
Contact the THA’s Section 3 Coordinator using the contact information at the bottom of this page to receive a business application.

What types of economic opportunities are available under Section 3?
* Job training
* Employment
* Contracts

Examples include:
Administrative/Management: accounting, payroll, research, bookkeeping, purchasing, word processing
Services: appliance repair, florists, marketing, carpet installation, janitorial, photography, catering, landscaping, printing, computer/information, manufacturing, transportation
Construction: architecture, bricklaying, carpentry, cement/masonry, demolition, drywall, electrical, elevator construction, engineering, fencing, heating, iron works, machine operation, painting, plastering, plumbing, survey, tile setting

Who will award the economic opportunities?
Contractors and subcontractors are required to provide economic opportunities to the greatest extent feasible, consistent with existing Federal, State, and local laws and regulations.

How can businesses find Section 3 residents to work for them?
Business can recruit in the neighborhood and public housing developments to tell residents about available training and job opportunities. Distributing flyers, posting signs, placing ads, and contacting resident organizations and local community development and employment agencies to find potential workers are effective ways of getting jobs and people together.

Additionally, THA will work together with our Section 3 businesses and our residents to share information about who is looking for employment and/or training opportunities and who (Contractors and Subcontractors) is looking for certified Section 3 residents.

How can businesses and low-income persons find out more about Section 3?
To learn more about the Section 3 program, contact THA’s Section 3 Coordinator:

Donna DeFaria, Section 3 Coordinator
Taunton Housing Authority
30 Olney Street
Taunton, MA 02780
(508) 823-6308, ext. 211